Simplicity is key when planning weeknight meals. This recipe includes all things I love: arugula, pasta, shallots and red wine vinegar. By adding the tuna you have your protein and the roasted red pepper adds a little bit of sweetness. My husband usually doesn’t eat foods with canned tuna (can’t say that I blame him) but agrees buying the tuna in olive oil makes all the difference. My words of wisdom, don’t try to skimp and use your traditional canned tuna in water. Spend the extra dollar or two and buy the premium stuff packed in olive oil.
Tuna & Penne Salad
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 6 oz uncooked penne pasta
- 2 cups chopped arugula
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp capers, drained
- 1 6-8 oz can of premium tuna packed in oil (drained and flaked)
- Preheat broiler on high.
- Cut pepper into fourths, tossing seeds and membranes. Place skin sides up on a foil lined cookie sheet and broil for 10 minutes or until blackened. Immediately place in a plastic container with a lid and seal. Let stand 10-15 minutes then peel the black, charred skin off. Dice.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and rise with cold water. Drain well.
- Combine all ingredients and salt to taste.
— East 9th Street (@East9thStreet) February 22, 2012
Original recipe by Cooking Light. This version adapted by East9thStreet.