Remember how I told you I LOVE cranberries? Well, this is another recipe that I make every year around Christmas time. I’m always looking for short-cuts when baking for the masses. This cranberry bar recipe uses a boxed cake mix and makes a full 9×13 pan of bars. I’ve been known to eat these for breakfast and a midnight snack.
- 12 oz package of whole cranberries
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup of water
- 1 yellow cake mix
- 3/4 cup melted butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup quick oats
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat the over to 350° F.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the cranberries, white sugar and water. Cook, stirring occasionally, until all the cranberries pop and mixture is think. About 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cake mix, melted butter and eggs. Stir in the oats, brown sugar, ginger and cinnamon. Set aside about 1.5 cups of the mixture and spread the remainder into the bottom of a 9×13 pan (it is MUCH quicker if you use your hands) packing down to form a solid crust.
- Spread the cooled cranberry mixture over the crust. Pinch off pieces of the remaining mixture and place over the cranberry layer.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the top is slightly brown. Cool in the pan for an hour before slicing into bars.
Recipe courtesy of Allrecipes.com