Broccoli and bacon salad. What could be better? Maybe I should switch it around and call it bacon and broccoli salad. I’m sure I had you at bacon.
Every time I make this recipe someone asks me for the recipe. When I tell them how to make it, they are happily surprised at how simple it is. You can easily whip this together in 15-20 minutes (depending on your chopping skills). It tastes better when you let it sit in the refrigerator for a couple of hours but I’ve eaten it immediately after making it and it’s still delicious.
Broccoli & Bacon Salad
- 6 slices of bacon
- 1 head of broccoli, cut into bite size pieces
- 1/8 cup red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 cup light mayo
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp vinegar (I use white wine but you could use regular white, champagne or whatever is in your pantry)
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- Cook bacon in the oven at 425° for 12-15 minutes. Once bacon is done, drained on paper towels and cut into bit size pieces.
- In a large bowl combine broccoli, raisins and red onion.
- In a medium bowl, combine the mayo, vinegar and sugar. Whisk together until blended completely. Add to the broccoli mixture and stir until well combined.
- Refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- Immediately before serving, add the bacon and sunflower seeds, tossing lightly.
This is one of my favorite summer time salads. The raisins add a hint of sweetness and of course there is the saltiness of the bacon. Add that with the crunch of fresh broccoli and you’ve got a winning combination.
What are your favorite summertime salads? Share your recipe in the comments, I’d love to make it!