Many people don’t realize you should use sunscreen year-round. They think sunscreen should only be used in the summer time while at the beach or ball game. What they fail to realize is that ultraviolet rays are transmitted by the sun year-round. According to the American Academy of Dermatology (AAD), every skin type should use sunscreen every day. Every year 2 million people are diagnosed with skin cancer and that includes all different races, sexes and ages.
Working in dermatology field I have seen several skin cancer cases. I’ve witnessed the physical and emotional pain it has caused families. What I’ve learned over the course of my career is that most people don’t use sunscreen year-round because they don’t know any better. Let’s face it, when do you see the large displays of sunscreen at your local store? In the summer. After fall comes, the commercials and store displays go away but the sun and it’s UV rays don’t. And our skin is exposed to these rays every single day.
So why should you use sunscreen year-round? Different reasons motivate different people so here are a few for you to think about:
- Sunscreen is the best anti-aging product you can buy. All those expensive lotions and potions aren’t going to work if you continually expose your skin to excessive UV rays.
- It helps to prevent skin cancers. 3.5 million skin cancers are diagnosed annually in 2 million people.
- 1 in 5 people will develop skin cancer in their lifetime.
- 1 in 50 people will develop melanoma in their lifetime.
- Melanoma is the most common form of cancer in young adults ages 25-29.
As a mom and someone who is concerned about my appearance, I make sure I apply sunscreen on myself and my daughter every single day. My daughter knew from an early age that just like brushing her teeth, putting on sunscreen was something she had to do before any other activities. I want her to grow up understanding that protecting her skin from harmful UV rays is the rule, not the exception. When I look back on different photographs, usually she has a bottle of sunscreen in her hands so I think so far, she gets it. With so many different sunscreens on the market, we’ve probably tried the majority of them and unfortunately, not all sunscreens are created equal.
When selecting a sunscreen I look at two main things: active ingredients and paraban free. Banana Boat Natural Reflect Sunscreen Lotion fits both of these requirements. Zinc oxide and titanium dioxide are both listed as active ingredients in the regular and baby version. It is also paraben and PABA free, meeting another one of my requirements! Here are some other facts about the Banana Boat Natural Reflect sunscreen that you may not know:
- 100% naturally-sourced mineral sunscreen active with Zinc Oxide and Titanium Dioxide
- Gentle on sensitive and delicate skin
- Proven effective against sunburn and to help prevent long-term skin damage
- Broad spectrum UVA and UVB protection
- Water resistant
- Recommended by The Skin Cancer Foundation
Disclosure: East9thStreet was provided with product in order to facilitate this review. Regardless, opinions are 100% mine and yours may differ.